You are here
Executive Directors Position
29 hours a week
- Oversee budgetary operations based on donations of funds, grants, goods, and services
- that support the mission of SHS
- Assist in preparing financial reports, budgets, and summaries, and monitor compliance
- of expenditures within approved budgetary constraints.
- Work with the President of BOD to develop board meeting agendas.
- Perform Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables, and all banking duties.
- Perform record keeping practices for legally compliant adoptions, receipts for donations, spay/neuter programs, administration of grants, and budgetary accountability.
- Meet with community organizations
- Act as public relations spokesperson in conjunction with the Director of Community Relations
- Partner with Adoptions Director to foster a positive relationship between SHS and City of Suffolk/Suffolk Animal Care
- Develop and coordinate methods to attain funding from agencies, individuals, professional groups, businesses, and others through use of community involvement, media exposure, and publicity campaigns related to SHS’s mission.
- Seek opportunities to develop self for additional value to be added to the organization
- Develop grant funding streams and begin plans for Capital Campaign
Management of Day to Day functions
- Overall responsibility for the routine day-to-day management of the affairs of the Suffolk Humane Society with limited outside direction from Board members or President.
- Relations and in consultation with the BOD include attending and reporting at BOD meetings as requested; other duties as prescribed by BOD.
- Assist Directors in planning new programs and hold monthly meetings.
- Oversee grant writing efforts for all programs.
- Develop and coordinate the production of public relations materials for events.
- Implement strategic planning as directed by the BOD.
- Coordinate the further development, implementation, and follow-up evaluation of SHS programs and campaigns.
- Make recommendations for consideration by the BOD regarding updating of policies and procedures.
- Participate as determined appropriate by the BOD on committees.
- Oversee the management of contract employees, human resources and related concerns.
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to provide overall management of volunteers.
- Oversee compliance with current federal, state, and city laws, regulations, and guidelines that affect operations and budgets of non-profit and animal welfare organizations.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate to independent contractors and volunteers SHS’s current and pending policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Answer and retrieve messages on phone and via email that are general in nature. Filter specific questions to directors as necessary
- Empty and clean cat litter pans weekly.
- Clean Office. I.e. kitchen, bathroom and front office on a weekly basis
- Maintain all supplies for office to include purchasing supplies as needed
- Assist with Laundry from animals under SHS care
- Prepare bills to be paid and coordinate with designated person for check signing to be completed weekly
- Social Media posts on a daily basis to engage community. Coordinate with directors daily via email to see if they have a story or upcoming event that needs to be posted.
- Complete all reports associated with Neuter Scooter and schedule all appointments with VBSPCA for the neuter scooter.
- Work with Foster/Adoptions director to send a picture of one pet per week to Virginian Pilot for the Pet of the Week. Post adoptable pets to PetFinder
- Establish a contact list for all Directors and Board Members that is updated as needed
- Establish filing system for office. Organize an electronic and paper filing system that can be easily understood and accessed by board members and directors. This will include membership, donor’s, sponsors, events.
- Record all cash and non cash donations; provide receipts and send out thank you cards. Keep records of names, addresses and phone numbers for future marketing ideas to be used by directors or the ED.
- Post Office – twice a week
- Bank Deposits – as needed based on the amount of cash in the office. Minimum of weekly to deposit checks
- Work with website administrator to make sure that all dates are current on website for upcoming events and programs that are happening with SHS.